Saturday 4 June 2011

Restaurant rapidfire! Quick reviews for fastfood!

Caldense Bakery
Home of the “Nata” Custard Tart!
Well in one of my fuzzy brain moments that I sometimes have after being deprived of sustenance for hours. I stumbled into one of my little secret foodie joints…Caldense Bakery! Not more than 5 minutes from where I work. I discovered this bakery a little while ago...now…lucky for you I am willing to share!

The bakery is attached to a Portuguese grocery store named, Tavora (I will review in a future post). It is filled with ex-pats looking for that special taste that reminds them of home. Upon entering, you are greeted with the amazing smell of pastries, fresh bread and chicken roasting in piri piri sauce.  I think to myself, this is definitely my kind of place!  I have had the roasted chicken with salad before and it was delish! However, today I wish to share with you what has to be one of the best grilled chicken sandwiches that I have had the pleasure to eat! Imagine lemon marinated roasted chicken breast, lettuce, tomato and mayo on a fresh soft baked bun! So simple and oh so yummy! People who know me know that I am not a huge fan of chicken sandwiches…especially without mayo.  Why? Well, the chicken breast always seems to be dry, overcooked and without flavour. This one is different! The chicken breast was served warm, fresh and moist.  Clearly, they know how to make a great sandwich and it is easily one of the very best that I have had – excellent!

I also treated myself to two of their pastries – I do share!  They have a large selection of fresh bake pastries…all baked in house, all so tempting! It was very difficult to choose only just one…so I didn’t! Today I chose a sfoliatelle “lobster tail” and a lemony jelly filled doughnut in honor of one of my favourite days…National Doughnut Day!

If I had any advice…it would be to ask for a small side of piri piri sauce with the sandwich it would be fantastic!

Caldense Bakery
1030 Dundas Street East,
Mississauga, ON
L4Y 2B8
Open 7 days a week

Caldense Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment